The Association for People of Restricted Growth in Finland (Lyhytkasvuiset – Kortväxta ry) is a national non-profit organization for people of restricted growth and their relatives in Finland. The association was founded in 1984 and has approximately 700 members. Most of the activities are run by volunteers.
The goal of the association is to help people of restricted growth to connect with each other, promote their rights and to contribute to the research of different types of dwarfism. The association:
– raises awareness of the restricted growth
– gives information to different policy-makers and public officers (e.g. social workers, staff of kindergartens and schools, doctors and nurses)
– offers peer support to its members and their families
– collects and shares information and studies of different diagnoses and available treatments
– aims to influence attitudes and reduce prejudice
Various activities are organized throughout the year. The biggest events are the annual spring and fall get-togethers. Regional correspodents organize local events. There are also summer camps, meetings targeted for different age groups and voluntary education opportunities amongst other smaller events. The association also has a magazine that comes out four times a year.
The Association for People of Restricted Growth in Finland can be found on social media as follows:
Facebook: Lyhytkasvuiset ry
You can find the upcoming events behind the title ”Tapahtumat ja toiminta”. For more information or for international cooperation, contact the international correspodents of the association:
Heidi Korhonen firstname.lastname@example.org
Ellen Nirhamo email@example.com